Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances
- Procedural Safeguards in the NDPS Act
- Punishment for Offences
- Special Provision for addicts
- Forfeiture of Property under the NDPS Act
- Licensed cultivation of opium.
- Production of opium and opiates
- International travellers requiring NDPS for medical use
- Manufacture of narcotics drugs
- Manufacture of Psychotropic Substances
- Import and Export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances
- Import and Export of Precursors
- Drugs of Abuse
- Treatment and Rehabilitation
- Drugs and HIV
- Supply of opium to addicts
- Poppy Straw
- National Fund for Control of Drugs Abuse
Manufacture of Psychotropic Substances
Psychotropic substances have several medical uses but they are also liable to be abused. Hence, manufacture of psychotropic substances is regulated. All psychotropic substances have been listed in the Schedule to the NDPS Act, 1985. These may categorized into:
Psychotropic substances whose manufacture is completely prohibited:
These substances are listed in Schedule I of the NDPS Rules, 1985. Thus, this is a sub-set of the List of Psychotropic Substances in the Schedule to the NDPS Act.
Psychotropic substances whose manufacture is permitted but only for export:
These substances are listed in Schedule III of the NDPS Rules, 1985. This is also a sub-set of the List of Psychotropic Substances in the Schedule to the NDPS Act. These are substances which are not medically used in India but they are so used in some other countries. Hence, any company interested in manufacturing these can do so but only for export.
Psychotropic substances which can be manufactured for sale in India or for export:
Any psychotropic substance not listed in Schedule I and Schedule III of the NDPS Rules, 1985 can be manufactured (for sale in India or for export) after obtaining a license from the State Drugs Controller under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules. Thus, if anyone manufactures a psychotropic substance without a license from the State Drugs Controller, he will also be liable for punishment under the NDPS Act since the NDPS Rules require that a license should be obtained.
For more details on manufacture and export of psychotropic substances, please refer to the NDPS Rules, 1985.