Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances can be imported and exported subject to the following restrictions:
- Import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances listed in Schedule I to the NDPS Rules is prohibited.
- Import of opium, concentrate of poppy straw, and morphine, codeine, thebaine and their salts is prohibited except by the Government Opium Factory. However, certain manufacturers who require these substances only for export, and importers of samples of these substances up to 1 kg in a year can import the substances after following the due procedure, provided they are notified by the Government to do so.
- Export of some psychotropic substances is not permitted to specific countries. These substances and the countries to which each substance cannot be exported are listed in Schedule II of the NDPS Rules, 1985.
- To import any narcotic drug or psychotropic substance, one should apply for and obtain an import certificate from the Narcotics Commissioner for each consignment.
- To export any narcotic drug or psychotropic substance, one should apply for and obtain an export authorization from the Narcotics Commissioner for each consignment.
For more information on import and export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, please refer to NDPS Rules, 1985.