Narcotic Drugs & Phychotropic Substances
- Procedural Safeguards in the NDPS Act
- Punishment for Offences
- Special Provision for addicts
- Forfeiture of Property under the NDPS Act
- Licenced cultivation of opium.
- Production of opium and opiates
- International travellers requiring NDPS for medical use
- Manufacture of narcotics drugs
- Manufacture of Psychotropic Substances
- Import and Export of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances
- Import and Export of Precursors
- Drugs of Abuse
- Treatment and Rehabilitation
- Drugs and HIV
- Supply of opium to addicts
- Poppy Straw
- National Fund for Control of Drugs Abuse
- General Licensing Conditions for grant of opium cultivation licence for the year 2009-10 (1.35Mb)
Supply of opium to addicts
The NDPS Act, 1985 empowers the State Governments to permit and regulate supply of opium to addicts where such supply is a medical necessity.
Opium addicts registered with the State Governments are supplied opium by the Governments. The Government Opium and Alkaloid Works at Ghazipur and Neemuch sell opium to the State Governments who, in turn, supply it to the addicts.